Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Some progress

I have commenced the process of laying track on Sutton Grange. It can be seen from the previous post that I have laid a 'surface' into the baseboards. After much consideration, I decided that the layout required some sort of 'sound deadening' material. I'd considered cork but felt it was too expensive, and I had some serious doubts about its effectiveness.


 
I was ready to lay the track straight onto the plywood top, when another modelling mate, John, suggested that I try up-side-down lino (or 'linoleum' in old speak). After helping him stick some to his new baseboards, I was converted. He kindly gave me the remaining lengths of his lino supply, and even came around to my place with some mutual modelling friends to help me apply it. Several tins of adhesive, some beers and a BBQ later, it was done.



As you can see, I have started laying the sleepers and a point template (actual VR plans reduced on a photocopier). I also 'staged' a small scene in an effort to see what the finished product may look like. It's a good start, but there's a long way to go...

Jules

3 comments:

Daz61 said...

Hi Julian,

Great to see a VR layout under construction. Looks like we are in roughly the same time period, though I am working in O scale.

Regards - Daryl

Julian Watson said...

Hi Daryl,

Long time no speak! I'll be looking forward seeing your layout come to life.

Jules

Rob said...

Looking great - progress is being made!