An unhealthy combination of work, together with a far more healthy dose of family and holidays has put a ‘go slow’ on the J class.
I’ve been developing my machining skills over the last couple of weeks, which has resulted in the first trial J Class tyre profile. I was not able to machine the bore, as I need to purchase a drill bit.
As can be seen, I removed as much material (stainless steel) I could, leaving around 10 thou on the tread and flange. I then used the Proto87 form tool, I finished the tyre surface by slightly feeding in the tool and rotating the chuck by hand.
The Proto87 form tool takes up a considerable amount of room on either side of the tyre. I removed enough material to accommodate. However, this will be time consuming and wasteful when it comes to machining all wheels. Consequently, I am considering machining several tyres to the basic shape, followed by boring the centre, then parting off each unit. I can then mount each tyre on a mandrel and finish off with the Proto87 tool.